Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You say it's your birthday ...


... it's my birthday too. At least, it's my birthday for another 39 minutes.

I'm not gonna lie - I feel a bit cranky about my birthday this year. After all, I am now 35 years old. I can no longer desperately cling to the "early 30's" label - I must admit that I am definitively in my "mid 30's." If I am immature, which I think it is clear that I am, I can no longer blame it on age, but must chalk it up to fundamental deficits in my personality. And with each year that passes it becomes more and more clear that I will probably never be an Olympic competitor in any sport. Not even the discus.

Not that my birthday is all bad. My birthday is on "Earth Day," which accurately reflects my political and philosophical sensibilities. I enjoy having a reason to go out with my friends and family for dinner and events and spend piles of money because I "deserve it!" I actually share my birthday with one of my best friends, Graham, which is really fun. And although I feel cranky about getting older, I wouldn't classify my birthday as simply "the devil" as my friend Becca does (although her bitterness could come from the fact that she is four days older than I am... sucker!)

But I do sometimes wonder about our obsession with birthdays. I am grateful that people want me to have a happy birthday, but why is it a big celebration in my honour?

Really, if we are going to honour someone today, it should be my mom. Thirty-five years ago she brought me into this world by squeezing me through a very tiny, very sensitive part of her body over a period of about eighteen hours. I finally emerged looking less than perfect (I have seen the pictures.) She then held me while I was covered in slimy goop, gazed into my pruney face through a morphine-induced haze and decided to house and raise me IN SPITE of what I had just put her through. Really, that is an incredible amount of devotion. All I have really done to hold up my end of the bargain is to keep on breathing until 35 rolled around. Mom truly did all of the heavy lifting.

Hmmm... I feel less cranky about turning 35 if I assume the holiday is all about my mom. And I don't want to get overexcited here, but with this new view on birthdays I'm fairly certain that I am on the cutting edge of a greeting card revolution, which means inevitable wealth and fame. So "Happy Alison's Birthday, Mom!" Thanks for putting up with me.


A

1 comment:

  1. I thought I would wait until after your birthday to wish you a very happy birthday as it seemed to be easier for me to hear it a fews days after, once the shock and self loathing had dissipated.
    I was thinking of you on Tuesday as I was busy making coffee at donut hell for cranky caffeine deprived people and thought to myself "self, Alison gets the best birthady present ever, especially this year. Not only does she get to celebrate her special day with the Earth (it being Earth Day and all) but she gets to go to Portugal on someone else's dime." How cool is that. No one ever gave me a free trip to anywhere for my birthday. No cake, no card, just an email from my 3rd cousin twice removed hitting on me and saying that we could get married and live happily ever after.
    So Al, I wish you and your mom many many more wonderful days to celebrate the fact that you are able to take life one breath at a time.

    ReplyDelete