Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

It took me a long time to become a "girl." I have always had all of the requisite parts, but my interests were never particularly "girly." As a kid, I didn't like dressing up or playing "house." My parents were thrilled when they realized that they had spawned the only female child alive who didn't want a "Barbie." I remember wondering why all of my friends wanted them so badly - to me they were stupid to play with because "dressing" is not playing, and they weren't cuddly and they couldn't even stand up on their own. I liked running around and climbing trees and playing with Lego. As I got older I became fascinated with horses, and worked on farms and ranches on and off for twenty years. I was never a fashion plate, and I remember, on more than one occasion, trying to walk out the door to go to a dance or a party while my mother begged me to put some makeup on before I went out.

"You're so pale!" she would cry. (Note: She was right. My mother has beautiful dark skin and hair and my father is very fair. I got her dark hair and his pale skin which means that I look like I have tuberculosis from October to May. My brother got her hair and her skin and my dad's blue eyes and looks like a movie star. Needless to say, he does NOT look like he has tuberculosis.) Sometimes I would grudgingly stomp back upstairs to put some lipstick on, but I never really learned what I was doing.

As I got older and embarked on my teaching career I slowly begain to embrace more feminine things. I wear a little bit of makeup to work now, and most of my horse-ranch wardrobe is gone (Note: MOST.) I have a shoe collection that, much to my surprise, has totally grown out of my control. And ... I sometimes go to a spa.

I was 29 when I first went to a spa. It is burned in my memory because I wanted to surprise my best friend with something really special for her 30th birthday, and I had planned it a month in advance. I blew my paycheque on a package that included massages, manicures, pedicures and a hair wash and style at a swankydank place in downtown Toronto. My plan had been to keep our destination a secret until we walked through the front doors of the spa but such was my excitement that I blurted it out before we even left my apartment. It was worth every penny; we emerged relaxed, massaged, buffed and polished, feeling like two cosmopolitan, mature, worldly women. It is an experience that everyone should get to try at least once.

It pains me to reveal to you, gentle reader, that until now this experience has NOT been available to everyone. There is a vital demographic that has been rudely deprived of this opportunity to explore the mature, cosmopolitan and worldly aspects of their personalities. I am, of course, talking about little tiny prepubescent girls! How long can this persecution continue?

Fear not, valiant consumer - this marketplace deficit has been noticed and addressed. Spa providers such as the "Glama Gals," "Glamour Tweens" and "Peaches and Cream" cater exclusively to girls as young as three, providing all of the essentials that you would find at any Yorkville Spa. And to think that I waited until my late twenties to pay another person to buff my toenails!

The "Glama Gals" who cater only to children under 16 years old, will bring everything necessary for a birthday or slumber party spa experience to a lucky girl's home. Kids can indulge in "Chocolicious" or "Tutti-Frutti" facials, "Chocolate Ice Cream"manicures or pedicures or makeup application sessions. Their goals are lofty; they hope that the particupants feel like "royalty" and establish a sense of identity. As the "Gals" state on their website:

"We feel empowered by our decisions and experiences and want to take part, even if it's just for a day, in sharing this empowerment with young girls in our community. Glama Gal Party is about Celebrating HER! It's taking a moment to celebrate being a girl and all that comes with being a girl. It's not just about dressing up, hair and make-up; although ask a 7 year old and this is what it's ALL about!"

These spa parties sure sound fun, and they certainly have impressive testimonials on their site! Consider this comment from a mother in Richmond Hill:

"The glama Gals are professional and organized right to the end and 10 year old girls have seen and done it all so to impress them is a feat it itself."

The tenth birthday party (finally ... double digits!) seems to be a big one for the Glama Gals:

"Julia's 10th birthday party was the best & EASIEST party we have ever hosted for her. The girls were so excited and happy with their makeovers."

But let's not forget those other lifechanging, "landmark" birthdays that are often such a nightmare to plan:

"Thanks so much for making my daughter's 4th birthday party such a hit."

Look, I am not trying to be a jerk here. All of the testimonials emphasize the professionalism, kindness and humour of the "Glama Gal" staff, and of this I have no doubt. And maybe it's not that different than little girls dressing up in their mothers' old clothes and clomping around the house in too-big high heels. But should kids know what a day at the spa entails before they know what a day at school entails? Do they need to be "made over" before they have had the opportunity to define their identity for themselves in the first place? Have 10 year old girls really "seen and done it all?" Really?

Moms - girls are going to be making themselves up and fretting about their appearance for THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. Give them a few worry-free years before their morning routines get stretched to accomodate hairstyling and makeup application. A birthday party should include snow down the pants, a jump in the leaves or grass stains on the knees of old jeans. A swim in a pool. Some good old fattening cake. Hide and seek and balloons. Soccer. Movies and popcorn.

If you are really stumped for an idea for a girls' birthday party, call me. I'll take them horseback riding.

A

2 comments:

  1. okay - the name 'glama gals' suggests that only GIRLS need to be made up - that GIRLS should be glamourous.... How about a spa for all us tomboys where we can mess up our hair and roll in the facial mud?? Come to think of it - the word TOMBOY kinda bugs me. Why am I a boy because I like to run around and get sweaty??? Ahhh - it's tough trying to be a GLAMA TOMBOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you have discovered spas and learned how to do your own hair and makeup...although I did enjoy doing them for you when you were going to a fancy dance or on a date in high school.
    Personally, I hate getting all dolled up. I think we should start a new fad ... girls in jammies over 30. No big hair, no make up, just comfy flannels and fuzzy slippers. That to me is heaven.

    ReplyDelete